Thursday, August 2, 2007

Swatch # 39


My heritage is a southern fishing family- generations of fisherman. The next couple fabrics were put together by my aunt Jan for herself and my grandparents. She artfully incorporated very important aspects of each individual in her fabric choices. First, my favorite artist, Walter Anderson is from Mississippi. My aunt did an amazing job at including him in the fabrics. His artwork is hung in our daughter's room. This was very important to me and one of the few things I was certain about. This first fabric is a green, blue batik with a Walter Anderson fish screened printed on it. The card has a picture of my grandfather, Capt. Eley, and his shrimp boat on it. The quote, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life." My grandfather as my aunt so tenderly put devoted his life's work to this noble and humble profession (fishing) and raised six children, teaching them how to fish literally and figuratively. I am so proud of my family and look forward to carrying on the tradition of teaching our child important lessons about how to live a good life.

No comments: